Sign in to follow this  
wbvczar

How many years of data do you keep active?

How many years of data do you keep active?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How many years of data do you keep active?

• 6 months
    • 1 year
    • 2 years
    • 3 years
    • 4 or more years
    • Never purge or archive

I was wondering how often you archive or purge your data? How much data is necessary for trending and research? My company currently has 5 years of data with no indication of purging anything. We are not in fear of running out of space, but I am wondering if performance is suffering when running reports.

What are the thoughts of the community?

Bill

Edited by wbvczar

I've always gone with the rule of 3 years. By that time the data is rather aged and of little value to anyone. And all reports that should have been created on that data have long since been published. So 3 years is the sermon I preach. HOWEVER, there is other data that can be purged much more often, such as notification history, search history, audit logging etc. That info is really only useful in the short-term, especially notification history. So my policy here is to purge after 6 months.

I also think with the easy that 11.2 makes in running purges, that this type of question will be asked more often.

Another twist on this, might be finding out what the legal requirements for keeping information/documents. With the way thinigs are today, you never know and asking the legal department might give you an idea.

Our auditors require 2 years of evidence.

For most issues are techs aren't looking back further than two years either, so it works.

But as was mentioned Legal and your Audit dept are the ones that will dictate what your history at a min. should be.