Sign in to follow this  
jonasborg

RESOLVED: New type of record - relate to Incident and display in list

Greetings. I have a requirement and am unsure how to approach it. On an Incident, the customer wants to have a "root causes" input. However, this root causes input must present it's own input screen and ultimately be able to have a list form as a tab to show each time this screen is filled in and saved (can be multiple root causes - which we have challenged and they do have a business reason).

If someone could point me in the right direction, it would be immensely helpful.

Any insight is appreciated. Unfortunately the search terms I have used looking for information haven't yielded any actionable results.

Should function similarly to Activities>Solution in Problem (could be create new button as well), without any relation to KD, except ideally would be able to edit/remove the entries.

Alternately, after some discussion, it might work if we could allow editing/deletion of Solution records. We could repurpose that tab. But that tab just seems so tied to KDs not sure if it's worth it.

Edited by jonasborg

I'd say it's not worth messing with the KD Solutions tab. In the end, you'll need a LREL (many-to-many) between your ticket (Incident) and RootCause like object.

It should be something similar to the 'Configuration Items' LREL present on a Change, so what I would do is:

1. Create a custom object for the Root Cause. Add screens in the Admin to update the list.

2. Create the LREL between the Incident and this custom object. That might be tricky if you haven't done it before.

3. Create a new Tab with 'Associated Root Causes' (or another title) and create the tab based on the 'Configuration Items' tab on the Change.

I'd say it's not worth messing with the KD Solutions tab. In the end, you'll need a LREL (many-to-many) between your ticket (Incident) and RootCause like object.

It should be something similar to the 'Configuration Items' LREL present on a Change, so what I would do is:

1. Create a custom object for the Root Cause. Add screens in the Admin to update the list.

2. Create the LREL between the Incident and this custom object. That might be tricky if you haven't done it before.

3. Create a new Tab with 'Associated Root Causes' (or another title) and create the tab based on the 'Configuration Items' tab on the Change.

Thanks Mitu, we have an LREL in another environment, but the screen to add to it looks like the Update Members in a group. We will base the tab on the CI tab in change. This might be the piece that gets us over the roadbump.

Thanks again for the suggestion (glad it's not SPEL), I will perform the work and report back.

Actually, the CI tab for Change is similar to the Update Members tab in the Group regarding adding entries to it.

If you're using a LREL, the screen to add a new entry in the tab is always the one with the 2 multiple dropdowns, there's no way around it.

Though it might not be spel involved, the configuration could be quite intricate. But, if you've worked with LREL's before, you should have most of it covered.

What I did to accomplish this is to create a Incident Type field. The entry point is a button on a certain Incident Type will allow for other Incident Types to be created using a PRESET function, which will also set the parent field to the Incident which the button was clicked on. I then do if statements around the Incident Type. How I display them is to duplicate the in_relreq_tab.htmpl and put a whereclause on the list which identifies the Incident Type.

Edited by jonasborg