prasad_p

Need to upload bulk knowledge Documents

Hi Team,

Could you please help to know the Step by Step process on uploading the bulk knowledge documents from a web site to CASDM by using pdm_ket utility.

I have gone through the knowledge Management Section in CA Admin Guide but couldn't find the step by step solution for the same.

Please help me on this as it is a bit urgent to complete.

THanks & Regards

Prasad

I know, the documentation for knowledge sucks and does not explain how to create a "package" to import. I have the same problem, been trying to find a way to import a large number of html files. Hoping someone here can help.

I've done this. It can be cumbersome and tricky. I don't know what version of SDM you are running, but it makes a difference as the r11.x import has a different command then the r12.x version.

I've done both and tripped over the different commands for each. I have some old documentation.

I'll assume you are using r12 for now. and I will assume you will try this in development first with a good back up before you try this in production. Don't say I did not warn you. :)

In r12 you have to have some thing set up ahead of time before you can import.

1. Go to %NX_ROOT/site/cfg. You should see the components already there for Heading.txt and kit_config.txt. Those are the files you need to configure.

2. Use one of the templates in Heading.txt

File Contents:

NAME=J1J4

DELIMTER=|

FIELDS= USER_DEF_ID, CREATION_DATE, TITLE, SUMMARY, PROBLEM, RESOLUTION, PATH, NOTES

DEFAULTS=STATUS:Published, AUTHOR:srvcdesk, OWNER:srvcdesk, INITIATOR:srvcdesk@domain.com

PATH_DELIMITER=~

NEW_LINE_IN_REC=\n

3. Create a kit_config.txt file and place it in same location as Headings.txt.

File Contents:

HEADER_FILE=C:\Program Files\CA\Service Desk\site\cfg\Headings.txt

TEMPLATE_NAME:J1J4

IMPORT_FILE=C:\Program Files\CA\Service Desk\site\cfg\kit\kbsolutions.txt

IMPORT_TYPE=TXT

THRESH_HOLD=10

4. Note the paths of the files. Make sure you have the files in the right location.

5. Create a kbsolutions.txt file. This part is up to you. I used a pipe "|" delimiter. Better chance that someone does not use this character in a field with your data. Comma is a bad idea.

IMPORTANT. Your data must be complete. you have to have SOMETHING in every field for Title, Summary, Problem, Resolution or it will not import without errors. Documentation does not tell you that. I tripped over that issue.

File Contents:

437|7/15/2002 18:26|HOW do I get this to work|When I try to work on this|here is my summary of the situation|fix it this way|DEPARTMENT>EXTERNAL|0

6. That is one record and is only an example, you will have to set up the mappings to other fields if you need more. Do this in excel and export it out with your delimiter.

7. You will have to play with Path to get it to work. but it should map to an existing knowledge base category already in knowledge base or it will create it which may be ok too. up to you as you can always change a category to a document after the import.

8. go to C:\Program Files\CA\Service Desk\site\cfg\ with DOS command.

9. at location enter: pdm_kit_txt -i

That should do it. It takes a while to import depending on the number of records and it will do a reindex after the importation.

Good Luck.

cowsert

Hi Cowsert

I have been trying this for the whole afternoon now. I ended up creating files with the exact same data as you have here. My challenge is that I keep getting an error that says "AHD11136:Number of fields does not match number of values. Can't import this document!". I have checked and the fields defined in headings file match exactly the data values. What else can I check?

Thanks

Mzilikazi

Hi Cowsert

I have been trying this for the whole afternoon now. I ended up creating files with the exact same data as you have here. My challenge is that I keep getting an error that says "AHD11136:Number of fields does not match number of values. Can't import this document!". I have checked and the fields defined in headings file match exactly the data values. What else can I check?

Thanks

Mzilikazi

Is that happening right away? OR is it later in the import process. So some are getting through and not others. There could be a few reasons for this. One is that one of your field values is null. All the fields must have data in them or you get errors. Additionally, make sure that the values are not larger then the database field sizes. If the data is 5000 characters, and you only can have 4000 characters in the DB field, that could cause an error. Can you share the first line of your data file (wipe out most of the information) and the contents of your configuration files, I'll try to help.

cowsert

Thanks cowsert;

I will check field lenghts.

In any case these are my details:

Headings file:

NAME=KT_Template

DELIMITER=~

FIELDS=USER_DEF_ID, PATH, TITLE, SUMMARY, RESOLUTION, PROBLEM, REVIEW_DATE, NOTES

DEFAULTS=STATUS:Published, AUTHOR:CASDSA, OWNER:CASDSA, INITIATOR:CASDSA

PATH_DELIMITER=|

NEW_LINE_IN_REC=\n

kit_config file:

HEADER_FILE=D:\CA\Service Desk Manager\site\cfg\KT_Headings.txt

TEMPLATE_NAME=KT_Template

IMPORT_FILE=D:\KT-load\KT.txt

IMPORT_TYPE=TXT

VERBOSE=TRUE

THRESH_HOLD=10

contents of load file:

37860~Managed Workspace>Messaging>SD~MS OUTLOOK~User needs support with outlook personal folders~create a .pst file~Creating a Personal Folder in Microsoft Office Outlook.~03.06.2013 08:29~Property:0 First fix:Yes Typecluster:Order

Thanks a mil

Mzilikazi

Hi all

I came right eventually. the issue I had was special characters that were being interpreted as ~ hence I was getting the error that my values are more than the fields. I had to run the command pdm_uconv against my inputfile and that resolved my issue.

Thanks cowsert for the instructions above they are on point.

Thanks a mill

Mzilikazi

On 7/13/2012 at 5:35 PM, cowsert said:

I've done this. It can be cumbersome and tricky. I don't know what version of SDM you are running, but it makes a difference as the r11.x import has a different command then the r12.x version.

I've done both and tripped over the different commands for each. I have some old documentation.

I'll assume you are using r12 for now. and I will assume you will try this in development first with a good back up before you try this in production. Don't say I did not warn you. :)

In r12 you have to have some thing set up ahead of time before you can import.

1. Go to %NX_ROOT/site/cfg. You should see the components already there for Heading.txt and kit_config.txt. Those are the files you need to configure.

2. Use one of the templates in Heading.txt

File Contents:

NAME=J1J4

DELIMTER=|

FIELDS= USER_DEF_ID, CREATION_DATE, TITLE, SUMMARY, PROBLEM, RESOLUTION, PATH, NOTES

DEFAULTS=STATUS:Published, AUTHOR:srvcdesk, OWNER:srvcdesk, INITIATOR:srvcdesk@domain.com

PATH_DELIMITER=~

NEW_LINE_IN_REC=\n

3. Create a kit_config.txt file and place it in same location as Headings.txt.

File Contents:

HEADER_FILE=C:\Program Files\CA\Service Desk\site\cfg\Headings.txt

TEMPLATE_NAME:J1J4

IMPORT_FILE=C:\Program Files\CA\Service Desk\site\cfg\kit\kbsolutions.txt

IMPORT_TYPE=TXT

THRESH_HOLD=10

4. Note the paths of the files. Make sure you have the files in the right location.

5. Create a kbsolutions.txt file. This part is up to you. I used a pipe "|" delimiter. Better chance that someone does not use this character in a field with your data. Comma is a bad idea.

IMPORTANT. Your data must be complete. you have to have SOMETHING in every field for Title, Summary, Problem, Resolution or it will not import without errors. Documentation does not tell you that. I tripped over that issue.

File Contents:

437|7/15/2002 18:26|HOW do I get this to work|When I try to work on this|here is my summary of the situation|fix it this way|DEPARTMENT>EXTERNAL|0

6. That is one record and is only an example, you will have to set up the mappings to other fields if you need more. Do this in excel and export it out with your delimiter.

7. You will have to play with Path to get it to work. but it should map to an existing knowledge base category already in knowledge base or it will create it which may be ok too. up to you as you can always change a category to a document after the import.

8. go to C:\Program Files\CA\Service Desk\site\cfg\ with DOS command.

9. at location enter: pdm_kit_txt -i

That should do it. It takes a while to import depending on the number of records and it will do a reindex after the importation.

Good Luck.

cowsert

Hi I try doing this in 14.1 and I get the following error 

2/14 12:26:19  pdm_kit started
02/14 12:26:19  ========================================
02/14 12:26:19  AHD11142:Unable to get default values (required template '' is not found in the header file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\Service Desk Manager\site\cfg\Headings.txt').

Using the same files as provided above

Headings.txt

NAME=SampleTemplate_1
DELIMTER=|
DEFAULTS=STATUS:Published, AUTHOR:ServiceDesk, OWNER:ServiceDesk, INITIATOR:ServiceDesk@domain.com
PATH_DELIMITER=~
NEW_LINE_IN_REC=\n

kit_config.txt

HEADER_FILE=C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\Service Desk Manager\site\cfg\Headings.txt

TEMPLATE_NAME:SampleTemplate_1

IMPORT_FILE=C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\Service Desk Manager\site\cfg\kbsolutions.txt

IMPORT_TYPE=TXT

THRESH_HOLD=10

kbsolutions.txt

a few mistakes with what I copied from cowsert firstly he has a spelling mistake with DELIMITER in the Headings.txt and secondly the TEMPLATE_NAME should be followed by the = and not : in the kt_config.txt , took some figuring out but it worked out .. also make sure your path is correct at first I had it as C:\Program Files instead of C:\Program Files (x86)\

Edited by helpdeskuser1234
Found my mistake , I copied the content forom @cowsert and he had the formating a bit wrong ...